Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Regressing?

I don't know if it's really regression or not. Ben had really been making progress with Chatterbugs and our private speech therapist. He was trying to say a number of new words, being more verbal in general, less pushy at the daycare, etc. Since Chatterbugs ended, he has slowly gone quiet again. Words that he used to pronounce close to perfect, he doesn't anymore (like cat, map, duck etc) and it's been a real struggle to get him to say words that he used to use often - like apple, cookie, banana etc. and the pushing of kids at daycare became as bad as it ever was! It was really starting to get me down, made worse because I have had severe nausea for the past 4 weeks thanks to Ben's new brother or sister who will be coming this summer. (a problem child already!)

However, in the last 2 weeks, since Christmas, things seem to have changed again, and quite dramatically this week. The Daycare split the Preschoolers into 2 rooms for Jr and Sr. The smaller class has made a HUGE difference in Ben's behaviour. He has not been pushing and has improved at following directions from the teachers. They have been very happy with how Ben has behaving over the last 2 weeks. In addition, he has formed a really close attachment to Makka Pakka doll (character from the show, In the Night Garden - if you don't know it, don't google it, trust me). He will not be parted from it. All day, all night. It's the 1st item he has ever had an attachment to - until now, he's never had a favorite blanket or stuffed toy. He takes it to daycare every day and I feel the distraction of having it with him has also contributed to becoming push-free. As a bonus, we have been able to use the Makka Pakka for discipline at home... the threat of taking Makka Pakka away is quite a motivator!

In addition to push-free, Ben has also started to initiate communication lately. Usually, I am the one initiating by asking questions or modelling things for him to respond. This week he has been quite emphatic about letting me know things he wants. Last night I was making dinner and he was playing. He came over to me and grabbed my arm, pointed in the direction of the stereo and stomped his foot. I said, do you want your Raffi music? Then he smiled, pointed again and said Raffi. Later that night, he let himself into the pantry and took a box of cereal off the shelf (a bad habit we are trying to break him of). So, hubby took it away and shut the door and said, not time for cereal, then held the door shut all the while Ben started a freak-out. After a bit of flailing on the floor he pointed at the door and tearfully said, Makka... Fred had accidentally shut Makka Pakka in the pantry!! Ben was not freaking over the cereal, but over not being able to get his buddy. Fred felt awful... but I was elated, Ben told us what was wrong. Very cool. I am hoping this is a start of something. We'll see what comes, this is all so recent. He has highs and lows (hmmm just like mummy!) - as I write this, he could be pushing-over 10 kids at the daycare....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

awesome news! Kids are strange eh. Something clicks and then it is easy to forget the hairpulling weeks gone by. Soon he'll be telling you stuff all the time, and the quiet Ben will be a long past memory.

Here is an example, do you recall the first time Ben tried to pull himself up? Whenever that was, I bet you were worried about the wobblies. When is the last time you worried about wobbly Ben? Probably forget right??? Same thing will happen here.

luv ya

Anonymous said...

awesome news! Kids are strange eh. Something clicks and then it is easy to forget the hairpulling weeks gone by. Soon he'll be telling you stuff all the time, and the quiet Ben will be a long past memory.

Here is an example, do you recall the first time Ben tried to pull himself up? Whenever that was, I bet you were worried about the wobblies. When is the last time you worried about wobbly Ben? Probably forget right??? Same thing will happen here.

luv ya

2ndFerment said...

I'm so glad Makka has brought him that much joy! *Something* good has to come out of that bizarre show ... :P