I watched the award-winning documentary, Autism: The Musical yesterday. Although the film is uplifting, I cried... not the usual tearful movie cry, but the full-on hyperventilation-inducing sobbing where you don't know when or if it will stop even long after you have dehydrated yourself. Though Ben has not been diagnosed as being autistic, there are so many similarities, it was so obvious I couldn't ignore it or reason it away. There was a little 8 year old boy named Adam... he is Ben in 5 years. It broke my heart. I watched as the kids spoke about being teased and bullied and one little boy not wanting to be in the "special class" anymore. I watched as the parents of the children featured in this movie discussed their challenges in raising children with autism including failing marriages due to the strain of raising a child with special needs. These heart-wrenching truths are a counterpoint to the heartwarming look at how wonderful, unique and brilliant these children are throughout their quest to write and perform a musical production.
Whether it's autism or not, Ben definitely requires extra help and attention. This movie was so hard to watch as my mind and emotions kept dwelling on, am I strong enough to give Ben the help he so desperately needs and is my marriage strong enough to handle all of this?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
YES, you are strong enough!! And don't forget, TEAM BEN is behind you every step of the way!
YES and YES. You are the best mom I have ever seen. Watching you raise Ben has shown me what it takes to raise Ellie. I would not consider myself a competent mom if not for you.
Luv ya.
Post a Comment