Ben was scheduled to see the developmental paediatrician whom we saw in July for a follow-up after his 3rd birthday in December. I received a call from the Chatterbugs speech pathologist last Wednesday. She had met with the Doctor to share with him her observations of Ben. She called me to tell me that and to say that the Doctor wanted me to call his office to move-up Ben's appointment. When I called, they had already reserved a spot for today. I am not sure that anything will be figured out today. I think that we will ask him questions and vice-versa. My guess is that Ben will be referred to the group that Chatterbugs wants to move him to. We will see.
I am not convinced that it's anything more serious. I catch glimpses of brilliance in Ben. He is just taking his time at catching up.
On Friday, Ben had another hearing test at CHEO. It was the most amazing appointment I have ever been to with him. In fact, I am still reeling a bit. All began as usual, a lovely and friendly audiologist distracted him with bubbles so she should could do the Tympanometry test. Then came the hard part. The booth! Ben is to sit quietly on a chair in my lap while the audiologist outside plays tones out of speakers to his left and right at various frequencies and volumes. There is a technician who is in the booth with us who helps direct Ben to cooperate. This is the 3rd hearing test Ben has had, reason being he would NOT cooperate in the booth, so no accurate assessment could be made.
The tech pulls out a peg board with multi-coloured blocks to fit in the peg holes. She says to Ben - Hold the peg to your cheek and when you hear the birdies (the sound from the speaker) then put the peg in the hole. In my mind I am thinking, ummm yah, good luck lady, (I am supposed to sit there, say nothing so I do not influence the test) as Ben usually balks and throws games of this nature. So they do a practice one, she holds one peg to her cheek and give one to Ben, who reached to put it on the board, she says "wait, wait Ben for the birds" and miraculously, Ben puts the peg next to his cheek and waits. The sound happens, then he purposefully puts the peg in the hole. Then again, and again. 12 times he did this! Without a freak out, without throwing anything... he put those pegs in that board quietly, methodically and with purpose. I was floored, I asked the tech if she would come live with us. More than that, I was SO proud of him that I felt I would burst!! This is an example of the flashes of "normal" that make me feel that Ben is just a little slow and a lot stubborn. I live for these flashes and I know it's a matter of time before they are no longer flashes, but the norm.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment