This was Ben’s last week of Chatterbugs! Technically week 7 is actually week 9. They count the pre-evaluation as week 1 and the parents’ introductory session as week 2. I started counting from when Ben actually began his 1st class, way back on September 17th. Sigh… I so fondly recall all the kicking and screaming! Week 10 is the 1-on-1 evaluation with the pathologist – we are scheduled for this Friday morning at CHEO. It’s at that meeting where we determine Ben’s next steps. As I have mentioned before, I am certain Ben will require more therapy as he is still far behind the average almost 3-year-old and I reiterate that this is a good thing.
Today’s class went out with a bang… actually more of a slap really. Lately, Ben has been very insistent on having all the attention all the time, typical for a child his age. However, he will scream at the top of his lungs whenever I try to have a conversation with on the phone, with Daddy, or anyone. We try saying “shh, Ben, it’s Mommy’s turn to talk”, but that does not seem to work. When I do break off a conversation to say “shh. Mummy talking”, he gets a very satisfied grin as if he was thinking, “A-HA, I got her to focus on me!! SCORE another for ME!!” When we try to ignore the screaming, so as to not give-in to his attention seeking behaviour, he will come over and hit on the legs. I am sure you can see where this is going… Today, Ben was not that interested in the session’s activities, and when I was attempting to carry on a conversation with the pathologist (we are sitting on the floor with Ben), he stood up and slapped me in the face, hard. Who knew toddlers could pack such a wallop. I was mad and hurt and my instinct was to wallop him back, but of course, I didn’t. Looking back on it, though unacceptable behaviour, at least it was me he hit and not another toddler. I am still fumbling and stumbling my way through figuring out how to discipline him for this behaviour. I am not big on spanking, especially now at this stage. Cognitively, Ben would not understand nor make the link that I would be trying to get across with a stiff bum swat. How do I get a 2 year old to understand there are consequences to actions that we consider ‘unacceptable’ and how to we teach him what is unacceptable when he doesn’t understand through verbal communication? I have "the look", but it does not always work. We shall muddle through and read more books and blogs. Perhaps I will find a tip that will work for Ben.
I am feeling the post-Chatterbugs drain right now. I think a quick trip for a double espresso is in order, after that I am certain all can be figured out!! Ha! All problems can be solved thanks to a quick caffeine buzz - if only it was so simple!
In all seriousness though, I am scared - petrified, really. After this week, Ben will not return to the First Words Program until spring and I am scared that I don’t have the charisma, energy or creativity to keep up with the therapy at home. In addition, how do I keep from loosing myself when all my thoughts, attention and energy are focused so intently on Ben. I am overwhelmed… again. This seems to be a common theme!
Let me away now to Starbucks and let the double espresso save the world!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment