Ben begins the Children’s Hospital sponsored speech therapy program on September 10th. The name of his group is Chatterbugs. (cute!). Actually, my husband and I begin on the 10th, my son starts on the following week. They train the parents first on how to work with the children at home. That is what I am most excited about with this program, the training and expectations of the parents. This program has made it clear from the onset of the waiting list process that this is a team effort and we as parents cannot expect that 1 hour a week of speech therapy to make any difference in our child’s lives unless we continue the ‘therapy’ at home. As helpful as reading literature and going to a private speech therapist (she is awesome!) has been, I have always wondered if the way I interpret the techniques in play at home are right or are the most effective. My son is improving slowly, which is terrific, but could it have been better? Here’s me again, always with the self-doubt and guilt! Hmmmm, I wonder where that comes from… (Pam, if you are reading this I am sure you have already spoken the answer to that one aloud!)
On another note, we have had some wonderful family outings with Ben in recent months. In July, we had a lovely trip to the Toronto Zoo with friends. He was a huge fan of chasing the wandering peacocks.

Last week we got to meet and ride Thomas the Train. It was hard to tell who was more excited for that event between Ben and me!! We had a lovely 20 minute train ride and Ben played for 2 hours with all the train sets that were set-up at toddler height.
Despite our wonderful time visiting Thomas the Train, Ben has not waivered from his true love; you might even call it an obsession … DOORS! Doors of all kinds, open - close, open – close, over and over and over. He can't get enough! He will stand at a door for hours, pull it open and then intently watch it swing close and as it closes he does a little happy dance. Then there are the automatic doors at the grocery store. The 1st time he realized that he could control doors without touching them, as if by magic… it was as if a chorus of angels began to sing in his head as a look of complete bliss came over his face.
My son = quirky!! I love it!
No comments:
Post a Comment